Embrace Your Curls
The Curly Girl Method
What is the Curly Girl Method?
The Curly Girl Method is hair care technique used for naturally curly hair based on the book, Curly Girl: The Handbook written by Lorraine Massey. It outlines the techniques of eliminating hair damaging habits (like heat styling and the use of sulphate-based shampoos) to opting for a healthier approach using conditioners and various styling creams and gels.
The Final Cleanse
So, you're ready to good-bye to lacklustre curls and start your curly hair journey? You've locked away your hair-damaging styling tools and all set to welcome beautiful curls back into your life? If the answer is yes, we recommend beginning your journey with a final wash. The final wash removes dirt particles and all previous silicone-based product buildup. The first, or rather last, cleanse can be done using a sulphate shampoo that is free from alcohol and silicone. All product residue needs to be thoroughly removed from each individual strand and sulphate shampoos are the optimum choice in this regard. Once the initial buildup has been removed it's important to note what the do's and don'ts are of the CGM Method.
Do's, Don'ts and How-To
Don't use any:
- Sulphate shampoos - namely sodium lauryl sulfate & ammonium laureth sulfate
- Alcohol-based products
- Heat styling tools
- Combs & brushes - cause friction that may lead to hair breakage
Do use only:
- Sulphate-free shampoos/cleansers
- Emollients - such as shea butter, olive & other plant-based oils
- Styling gels & creams free from alcohol, silicones & sulphates
How-To: The 5-Step Method
- Cleanse: The aim of the Curly Girl Method is to provide the curls with maximum moisture. This is as essential when you cleanse the hair as when you style it. Cleansing the hair with mild, sulphate-free shampoo composed on sugar surfactants are your best bet. If, however, you suffer from very dry hair, it is best to use a conditioner instead of a shampoo.
- Condition: After cleansing its time to condition the follicles. Use a conditioner that best suits your individual hair type. Massage the conditioner throughout the lengthens of the hair to nourish each strand and rinse with plenty of lukewarm water.
- Style: Now it's time for styling. Use a natural leave-in conditioner and gently detangle the hair with your fingertips, avoiding the use of any combs or brushes that could damage the hair!
- Dry: Another golden rule to ensure your hair looks healthy and cared for is to avoid the use of heating tools. Instead, opt for airdrying the hair or wrap the hair in a t-shirt or microfibre towel/turban to dry.
- Go: Use a few spray pumps of pure water and gently scrunch it into the hair to revive the curls. Alternatively, a natural leave-in condition misted on the hair also does the trick.
Products we recommend
- Enhances bounce
- Defines the curls
- Silky shine
- Instantly restructures the hair
- For increased strength & moisture
- Improves the texture of the hair
- Rich in active ingredients
- Smooths & protects
- Strengthens the structure of the hair
- Perfect hairstyling duo
- Improves the structure of the hair
- Enhances bounce
Delivery in 3 business days.
We deliver worldwide to
more than 40 countries
with SLL encryption technology